'It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong' - Voltaire

Monday, July 7, 2008

Everything has a beginning...

During 1728-29, Jonathan Swift and Thomas Sheridan anonymously published the Intelligencer. This Dublin periodical offered trenchant and often witty commentary on the Irish social and political scene. While it is unlikely that this blog will provide as entertaining prose as the original Intelligencer, I hope that I will be able to give to the reader some modicum of amusement.

The primary aim of this blog will be to stimulate debate on a wide range of issues in political and current affairs in Ireland and the rest of the world. Every writer has their own particular interests that affect the topics they address. My strongest interest lies in the field of political campaigning and elections. Consequently, the reader can expect to find topics related to this field addressed regularly on this blog. This blog will also seek to provoke debate on the major issues of the day and may at times include matters of a more trivial nature.

This will be my first experiment in blogging. I am not sure what to expect but I hope that I can offer something of interest for those reading this blog. I bring my own bias and I hope that you will challenge me if you feel that my views are misguided or unwarranted. I look forward to the debate and my entry into the blogosphere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Umar,

Consider yourself subscribed to! Some advice though, blogger.com can be a very messy if you want to customize it or migrate it to a new blog. A wordpress.org installation with blacknight.ie would cost around 50 euro and I've taken a look, themodernintelligencer.com is available. Blacknight would register it on your behalf it for 8 to 9 euro a year.

I'm considering setting up a full blog myself, currently have a tumble blog at delexical.tumblr.com

Anyway, best of luck!,

Umar Ahmed said...

Hi Ronan,

Thanks for the good luck message. I have come quite far already today from not being that tech-savvy at all to having purchased a domain for 10 US Dollars. Thanks for the advice. With the Euro conversion rate it was just over 6 Euro. Seems like a bargain for your own website. I'm not sure why I'd migrate my blog or what that involves but I signed up with wordpress as well but I actually prefer the blogger site as it feels more user friendly. Of course, looks can be deceiving.

Anyway we may run into each other some day if you are about Dublin city centre. Good luck with your own blog!

Best wishes and thanks again for the advice!

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation